Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2006 20:07:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      David LeCount <snailboy1@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Problems with SCSI

> This comes with OPTIONAL SCSI interface, u sure you
got the
> board with the SCSI option ?

Well it has two SCSI ports on the motherboard, has an
option to enable/disable it in the CMOS, and was
advertised as having a SCSI Ultra 360 controller. If
it doesn't, I want my money back.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813151149

> How do you have the CD drive cabled?  That
> motherboard has 68-pin SCSI
> connectors, and SCSI CD's mostly have 50-pin
> connectors, there are a few
> with 68-pin connectors, but it isn't common.

It's not a CD drive, it's a hard drive. It is indeed a
68-pin. It's as simple as plugging it in.

> Do you have the CD terminated, and the SCSI on the
> motherboard's
> termination set correctly?

There is a terminator at the end of the cable. If
you're asking about something else, then I don't
understand what you mean.

> You need to check a jumper on your motherboard, the
> jumper is:
> J92
> This jumper effects the onboard SCSI.
>
> This is in the manual on page 13

It is open, which is the default.

> Enable the boot-time diagnostic screen, enable the
> summary screen as well,
> and check the boot device priority.  If you have
> SCSI enabled correctly
> this will be a choice to boot from it.
>
> These are on page 54

I've done all that. The summary screen doesn't show
any SCSI drives, although I don't think it showed my
SATA drive either but it's definitely working. I
couldn't tell what the diagnostic screen setting did
but I enabled it. The boot priority list is actually
an oddity It does list "PCI SCSI" but beside it it
lists my SATA drive, not the SCSI drive. I am certain
of this because it lists it as a Western Digital drive
but my SCSI drive is a Hitachi. I am really confused
why it lists the SATA drive under SCSI. When I disable
SATA, it doesn't list a drive beside SCSI, although
the option is still there in the boot priority list.
I'm not sure what the deal with that is.