Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:09:05 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>, christian@jacken.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How safe is FreeBSD?

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> > and "you say that Microsoft
> > or NSI possibly have a backdoor to Windows2000, but how can we be sure that
> > there is no backdoor in Red Hat or FreeBSD"?
>
> Hmm.. if it is just about backdoors then it is clear that
> it is still possible to have hidden vulnerabilities in an open
> source code, but it is obviously much, much harder to hide such before
> all eyes than with closed code.
>
> There are a couple of security gurus who say that the strongness
> of a security system should not rely on hidden information about
> its workings. Look for "security by obscurity".

snip

At the risk of being flamed to death, this discussion of which os is more
secure or more or less likely to have backdoors than any other is really a
little irrelevant. It is not the OS - on its own that is the key, it is the
applications you are running on it, the environment you run it in and the
administrative procedures you wrap aruond the bundle.

The O/S is but a small part of the equation. If you have a mission critical
application that is made vulnerable by a single o/s based backdoor then you
have no security anyway.

It is not the OS - on its own that is the key, it is the
applications you are running on it, the environment you run it in and the
administrative procedures you wrap around the bundle.

I would get this stuff right before I worry about rinkydink backdoors that may
or may not exist.

As to  open source what guarantee do you have that that crucial bit of code has
actually been looked at by somebody who has understood it's ramifications and
has published their findings. Just because it is open source does not mean per
se, it is better or backdoor or bug free.

--
Mark Rowlands  +4686224510  GMT + 1