Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 16:28:28 +0100
From:      Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The plot thickens (problem solved!) (was Re: More information ...)

* Emiel Kollof (coolvibe@hackerheaven.org) wrote:

[snip -pthread/-lc_r stuff and X]

> azazel# gcc -o test test.c -L /usr/X11R6/lib -pthread -lX11
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6: undefined reference to `_Xthr_zero_stub_'
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXThrStub.so.6: undefined reference to `_Xthr_self_stub_'
>
> your system has the same problems as I do. Also, somehow I doubt that
> *every* X11 program needs -pthread or -lc_r.

Allright, who broke XFree86? Fess up! :)

After removing _every_ trace of X-related stuff off of my system, X just
completely fails to build. XFree86-4-libraries builds fine, but then when
building the XFree86-4-clients it bombs, same pthread/XthrStub related
error I have been meandering about all day.

I stronly suspect that the patch-UIThrStubs.c in the X-4-libs port must
be bogus. After removing it the problems were gone.

What the patch added was a #ifdef to facilitate gcc3.x compilers (a.k.a.
CURRENT), but I guess it broke 2.94.x compilers in the process.

Removing the patch-UIThrStubs.c in the files/ dir of the
XFree86-4-libraries port made things sane again...

So? Who broke it? :)

Cheers,
Emiel

--
If you read this fortune, you just wasted about 5 seconds of your time.