Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:50:17 -0700
From:      Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        "Rudy (bulk)" <crapsh@monkeybrains.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em0 watchdog timeouts

I would say that 1024 should be enough, I thought maybe you were at 256.
amd64 kernels just perform better at a lot of things, however I/O is not
necessarily
one of them, so I wouldn't claim it for sure, still I'd always default to 64
bit these
days unless there's some other reason not to.

What about system load, perhaps something is bogging the thing down so that
it
cannot adequately service the network interrupts??

The specs of the motherboard are respectable, how much memory does it have?

Another thought, are you using the out-of-band management features (like
IPMI)?
If you are not then go into the BIOS and disable that stuff.

Have you run netstat or some other resource monitor to see if you run out of
anything that might coincide with the watchdogs...

Jack