Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 22:06:39 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X questions

On Sat, Jan 03, 1998 at 06:41:23PM -0800, Rudy Gireyev wrote:
> OK I'm very new to X without the CDE so I got some simple questions:
>
> 1. How the heck to switch from one terminal to another using the
> keyboard. Alt+F1 and Alt+F2 doesn't work :-)

If you're trying to access another virtual terminal, try Ctrl+Alt+Fn
where `n' is the vitual terminal number. After accessing the a virtual
terminal you only need to use Alt+Fn to access others (and one of
those will return you to X).

> 2. Is there a CDE for XFree86? Where is it? I know it's no Workplace
> Shell but hey it's better than nothing.

Try the KDE port.

> 3. Since I'm on the subject of OS/2 is there a Launchpad utility
> identical to OS/2 for X?

Try the KDE or AfterStep (like NextStep) ports.

> 4. What's the best way to start X upon bootup so that I login when I'm
> already in X?
>
> 5. All docs I've found in X deal with installation and/or
> troubleshooting (of installation). Is there anything available online
> or is the book my only realistic option.
        ^^^^^^^^
What aspect of X are you interested in?  If "the book" is one of the
O'Reilly series, you can't go wrong (IMHO).