Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:34:46 -0400
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-commit@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD dirpref/softupdates code

* Jeremiah Gowdy <jeremiah@sherline.com> [010531 17:57] wrote:
> I have been told that the OpenBSD code that is supposed to speed up some
> types of file system access up to 60x, has been committed to -current on
> 4/30.  I'm wondering if there's any idea when it will be committed to
> -stable?  Are their any stability issues with the code?

It seems stable but there were issues with old copies of fsck making
the kernel panic because they filled in junk in places dirpref expected
some sort of statistical info.  There's also the issue of letting the
change mature a bit before possibly hurting users with a new layout
policy that's just recently been discovered, basically there may be
unforseen issues.  Personally I'd like to see snapshots and background
fsck backported. :)

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"