Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:34:42 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Matthew Jonkman <jonkman@bussert.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routed and public IPs

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 08:46:14AM -0500, Steve Hovey wrote:

> I believe routed just handles rip - if these public addresses need global
> routing you need something that does bgp - To passwd packets to just
> certain addresses and no others, you do a permit rule for the ones to
> pass, deny for all others.
>
> Is freebsd your router?  Or a machine inside from your router, acting as a
> router to a subset of machines?
>
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Matthew Jonkman wrote:
>
> > I have myself very confused here.
> > I am running a firewall but there is a need to have public IPs behind the
> > firewall that are accessible from the outside. By my feeble figuring if I
> > run routed -s it will build a table and should make them visible. Am I right
> > there?
> >
> > Is it possible to firewall public addresses behind a bsd machine?
> >
> > Is NAT interfering with route?

If your addresses behind the firewall are static, there should be no
need to run a routing daemon (like routed(8)).

If you told us a bit more about your configuration, we could help. But
as an example, if you have unregistered numbers, 192.168.0.0/24, and
registered numbers, a.b.c.0/24, on your internal network, all you need
to do is,

ifconfig_if0="w.x.y.z"                       # External interface
ifconfig_if1="a.b.c.254 netmask 0xffffff00"  # Internal interface
ifconfig_if1_alias0="192.168.0.254"          # Internal interface
natd_enable="YES"
natd_flags="-u -n if0"

And I think it should work fine.