Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 16:02:17 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridged vmnet make NIS go berzerk killing servers with icmp msgs

Nick Sayer wrote:

> Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Sorry for crossposting, but I'm not certain wheather this is -net or
> > -emulation; probably both...
>
> I see a similar failure every once in a while on FreeBSD machines that
> are NIS clients that are not running vmware, though it sounds to me like
> you are seeing it a lot more frequently.

Actually, the clients are not necessarily using vmware, just
the vmnet interface and a bridge to fxp0 or xl0. I suspect
there is a problem with nis and bridges...

> I can sometimes precipitate this by disconnecting an NIS client from the
> net briefly, using NIS, then reconnecting it. It ends up in the icmp
> supression state and the only way out is the history eraser button.

you mean that after disconnecting the client, you do some NIS
operations?

> Our master is a Solaris 2.x x86 machine, though.

ok... Does that matter? Isn't it the client failing?

How can I debug this? I really need to get it fixed. running
natd and private nets for vmware on every system isn't really
an option (well, I can cope, but I'd rather not...)

/Palle

--
         Partitur Informationsteknik AB
Wenner-Gren Center             +46 8 566 280 02