Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 06:38:09 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        me@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libXpm.so.4.5

 * Anybody know what's going on with libXpm? I've been used to 3.4
 * for some time. Now I've discovered that it seems to be at version
 * 4.5 while the package itself still is 3.4(e instead of c),
 * Anybody know why the major number was bumped? The bump seems to have
 * happened at 3.4d which is still in the packages directry. Fom the
 * CHANGES file I can see no interface changes.

The current numbering scheme is correct.  The "3" is the "protocal
version" or something, and the "4" and the alphabet denote the major
and minor shlib version numbers.  Thus, 3.4e -> Xpm.4.5.

However, the original port was done incorrectly by someone who thought
3.4c corresponds to libXpm.so.3.4, and I believe there was a bogus
#define in one of the patches that rewrote 4.3 -> 3.4.

 * At least the fvwm and xemacs packages are still linked against
 * libXpm.so.3.* . I'll stick a updated xemacs into packages soon,
 * but I'm afraid someone else will have to look at fvwm since
 * I believe the port is broken somehow - e.g. the .xpm icons don't get
 * installed, but I'm not sure this is all.

Yikes.  When we discovered the problem, I went to thud to do a ldd in
/usr/local/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin and remade all the packages that had
Xpm.3 in them.  Didn't check all the packages though. :<

Thanks for your help.  For fvwm, do you mean we can't replace the
version in package/ without introducing a new problem by compiling
now, or do you mean it's already broken about the .xpm stuff in the
package that we currently have?  If it's the latter, I'll just rebuild
fvwm and replace it too for now.

Satoshi