Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 21:01:21 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   <==> pointer in galeon (and "nt") under KDE3

I just updated my system after about six months, and this is surely the most
trivial of issues, but . . .

For some reason, now that I've updated my system to stable (as of Friday
night) and also wiped out and reinstalled *all* of my packages and ports,
I've run into a rather odd problem:

In Galeon (and also in the "nt" executable from downloader), the pointer shape
is a

   <==>

even when the cursor is over menus and buttons and other things where you'd
expect an arrow cursor.  In the "nt" it seems to be everywhere except at the
very bottom of the window.  In the case of galeon, it *does* turn to arrow
over the actual web page, but on the buttons and menus on the top it remains
a <==>.  It does change to an i-bar in the text widgets, though.  And on the
bottom part of the window (below the web page) it turns into an up-and-down
arrow through most of the bottom, and angled in the corners.

It seems as if whoever is doing the arrows (window manager or window, I'm not
sure) is very confused about the geometry of the Window and thinks of a huge
portion of the window as being a grababble border.

Yet you can't actually grab it--if you click you can't really grow or shrink
the window except where you should be able to do so.

Also, the actual title bar causes the pointer to revert back to a pointer.

I run KDE and galeon is a gnome application, so that might explain some
weirdness, but nt doesn't seem to be a gnome application.  It doesn't happen
for generic X applications like xterm, xvile, or (more significantly) xmcd.

Though seemingly trivial, this is incredibly distracting.

Any ideas?

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org