Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 1996 13:37:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        fyeung@fyeung5.netific.com (francis yeung)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hm@altona.hamburg.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

> 	The US Robotics ISDN card support ODI and NDIS (but not ODI CAPI
> 	or NDIS CAPI - I doubt it very much these things exist).
> 	. It looks like to me that they are trying to emulate
> 	an Ethernet card. Where can I locate any info about using
> 	NDIS/ODI with FreeBSD ? If FreeBSD can work with NDIS/ODI,
> 	it should work with Packet Driver (PD) with ease.

The ODI driver must be a server-ODI driver.  Client-ODI drivers are
real-mode drivers.  Server-ODI drivers are drivers to allow the use
of the card in NetWare itself.

The ODI module specification is available from a provoder perspective
on the Novell FTP site.  Since the interface is "black box", it's
possible to write an ODI consumer from the specification (I did this
a while ago; it's part of the code that USL claimed when they bought
Novell -- I know, I know, but that's what it felt like).  It wouldn't
be too hard to replicate.

Utah State University (usu.edu) has a large NetWare/Novell FTP server
with all sorts of tools, specifications, and object file formats.  You's
have to lok around on archie by host to find it; it should take all
of five minutes using the www archie interface.

The most recent Cygnus binutils support ODI object formats; Cygnus was
paid by Novell to build an NLM develeopement environment, and the ODI
drivers are loaded on the server as NLM's.

This would probably be a 2-3 month effort, assuming you had two or more
ethernet cards that had server-ODI drivers.  Probably about 80 hours of
work, total.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---