Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:05:27 +0100
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: BSD.x11-4.dist mtree cleanup

Hello,

Around last X.Org upgrade time, there's been a bit of talk about mtree file
for XPREFIX (/etc/mtree/BSD.x11-4.dist). It now contains almost all
directories that either X11 version populates and some that are left empty
and then again some that a couple of other ports populate. Here's a
proposition that can perhaps simplify matters and clean up things a bit along
the way.
At first - why not simply make a port like gnomehier/kdehier and stuff
everything from mtree there. There is a bit of difference - while hier ports
are quite specific to their respective desktop, I think we could find a
common set of directories under XPREFIX that many ports depend on being
there, like lib include and share/locale entries.
On the other hand, there are directories that are not only X11 specific, but
rather specific to single X11 port, like include/X11/Xaw. This can be a
problem for example when some extension or whatever is obsoleted and we get
empty directories, however users can get the updated mtree file only upon
next OS upgrade.
So, here's a proposal: We gradually move ports specific directories to their
ports and after that remove them from mtree, so mtree ends up something like
this:
http://www.ijs.si/~lesi/mtree-cleanup/BSD.x11-4.dist.NEW

If this can be done gradually, the most convenient time to do it would be upon
next upgrades of X.Org and XFree86, so update of mtree would be done
somewhere after FreeBSD 5.4 release.
Some notes: I think a bit more directoris could go into mtree that don't have
their counterparts in BSD.local.dist, but are used by a couple of different
ports:
libdata/pkgconfig
lib/X11/app-defaults
lib/X11/fonts
and others that I've left in proposed resulting mtree. There's also at least
one (sbin) that is now missing, but I think should be there. More thoughts
about specific directories would be appreciated.
(There's also a diff between the current and proposed mtree:
http://www.ijs.si/~lesi/mtree-cleanup/mtree.diff)

Dejan