Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:59:42 +0200
From:      Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with default ACLs and mask

Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
>

> [dd]
>
>>Am i doing something wrong here? Why is the mask not propagated?
>

> I am afraid the current umask prevents it.
> You must set it to something like "umask 002" before you create your
> files or directories (the group write bit matters here).

This does not always work:
#
# Show ACLs on current directory
#
-bash-2.05b$ getfacl .
#file:.
#owner:624
#group:1022
user::rwx
group::---
group:wiss:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
-bash-2.05b$ getfacl -d .
#file:.
#owner:624
#group:1022
user::rwx
group::---
group:wiss:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---
#
# create a dir with umask 022 and umask 000, then extract a tar ball
#
-bash-2.05b$ umask
0022
-bash-2.05b$ mkdir D1
-bash-2.05b$ umask 0
-bash-2.05b$ mkdir D2
-bash-2.05b$ !tar
tar xzf /export/linux/root/debian/usr/local/src/TARS/STonX-0.6.5.tar.gz
-bash-2.05b$ getfacl *
#file:D1
#owner:624
#group:1022
user::rwx
group::---
group:wiss:rwx          # effective: r-x
mask::r-x
other::---

#file:D2
#owner:624
#group:1022
user::rwx
group::---
group:wiss:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

#file:STonX-0.6.5
#owner:624
#group:1022
user::rwx
group::---
group:wiss:rwx          # effective: --x
mask::--x
other::--x
-bash-2.05b$

As you can see, it works for the dirs created by hand, but not for the
dir created by tar.

>>Update: I saw a post suggesting using different umasks, but that did not
>>work either (besides being a bit clumsy solution).
>

> I agree it may be clumsy but it does work, I use it.
> Set the user's umask from login.conf

It's not only clumsy, it doesn't even work reliably :-( I want to have
members of the group "wiss" to have full control, no matter what tools
are used to create the files (unless the user deliberately resets the
ACLs, of course).

Regards,
	Heinrich