Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 11:48:13 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

>>> sos@FreeBSD.org said:
 > >
 > > > What gui toolkit - where - where - show me, maybe it could save me
 > > > writing some 1000's lines of code :) :)
 > >
 > > I'll go hunting around, but I believe it's another hack..  I looked
 > > at it about a year ago and went "Ewww.  This was designed by somebody
 > > who'd never seen a GUI before!"
 >
 > Oh well, thought so, but one can never know right..
 >
 > I think the main reasons we dont see all those nifty GUI based apps, is
 > 1. we dont have the nessesary (easy to use) tools
 > 2. what we have is based on X which have its own set of problems
 > 3. there has been no other "simplistic" approach to this before (that I
 >    know of)

First of, we got to have people willing to write apps 8)
X by itself is okay -- hard to use however it is flexible enough so
that we can build wrappers around it to make the job easier.
tcl/tk has generated a few GUI tools which make it easier to write
tools yet I have not seen hardly any native freebsd apps.
So lets see the general progression: X, tcl/tk, InterViews, motif .
Granted all the tools have something wrong with them however one would
think that by now  many cool FreeBSD apps would have been written with
the existing tool base. Perhaps, what we need more than yet another
wonderful GUI tool is a set of goals or ideas for people to work on ...

	Amancio