Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 06:21:35 -0600
From:      Matt Meola <mmeola@qwest.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compile error, CVS 08/22/2001 1pm EDT

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 11:21:49PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 03:29:54PM -0400, Raoul Schroeder wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am brand-new to CVS updating, so I looked into the handbook and tried to
> > find out more. Downloading the CVS (from 1pm EDT) was not a problem,
> > compiling was. I am updating from 4.1R (yes, yes, I waited that long).
>
> This is a known bootstrap error in updating from 4.1-R-era sources.  I
> don't know if anyone is looking at fixing it; in the meantime the
> easiest way to upgrade is probably to do a binary upgrade.

Have you checked the archives?  If the lists at FreeBSD.org "aren't
available", try www.geocrawler.com...

The upshot of it all is that 'basename.o' needs to be compiled and added to
/usr/lib/libc.a manually.  From there, everything will go just fine.

--
Matt Meola                                                       AFØD
af0d@qsl.net           ARES CO D. 6 AEC       http://www.qsl.net/af0d