Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 19:12:33 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jdp@polstra.com, rb@gid.co.uk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spurious SIGXCPU

>>Signal 24 is SIGXCPU (exceeded CPU time limit).  Check your ulimit
>>settings ("limit" if you use csh) and your login.conf setup.
>
># limit
>cputime         unlimited
>[etc]
>
>Checked that before showing my head above the parapet; and I did say
>"Doesn't seem to be repeatable" :-)

Apparently your process appeared to run for a negative amount of time.
p_runtime is unsigned (64 bits), so negative runtimes are interpreted
as huge runtimes, even huger than RLIMIT_INFINITY.  This bug used to
be avoided by using signed variables even to hold values that should
be non-negative.

Bruce