Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2016 14:51:55 +0300
From:      Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: End of year Xorg status rant

Oliver:
I agree 100% with you.
I'm a desktop user and chose FreeBSD because I find the sysadmin tasks on L=
inux unbearable. My use as it seems to be yours is primarily for data analy=
sis. However what use to me (or any desktop user) is a solid & rock-steady =
base system if, for all practical purposes, the Desktop is unusable?

> I think we face a political problem, not so much a man-power-driven one
I'm sure the Foundation and developers have been debating whether to drop d=
esktop all together and only focus on server-side, which I would have no pr=
oblem with and would just migrate to some other OS. The problem as you stat=
ed is that this half-assed approach is not working. Put simply, the choices=
 are:
A. Drop all Xorg related ports, kernel modules and move on or
B. Seriously go after creating a decent (I don't need fantastic) desktop ex=
perience

We all know what option A would mean for the future of FreeBSD, but not my =
call.
If all else fails, I'm afraid I must agree with:
> Time to change paradigm, time to change OS ...

Matthew:
Thanks for the info.
> .. the great work you've done as the major comitter to this project
First off, personal thanks even if I don't benefit from it directly.

> If you care about Radeon I would welcome contributions to its upkeep.
> Unfortunately, the intersection set between people who care about
> radeonkms and those attending to its upkeep is currently empty.
I'll take a look, but I just don't have the coding experience/knowledge. I'=
d have to travel pretty far to get to the point where my contributions woul=
d be productive for either side :((

Regards.
--=20
FreeBSD_amd64_11-Stable_RadeonKMS
Please CC my email when responding, mail from list is not delivered.