Date:      Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:34:16 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Laptoppers <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: thinkpad t40 4.0-stable won't resume

> From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
> Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 02:22:42 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> > > Hmm. Resume as in resume after an apm/acpi suspend?
> >
> > yep.  there are other resumes?
>
> Not that I know of, I misunderstood the reason for the inclusion of your
> dmesg.
>
> > i thought i remembered something about ATA after resume being a
> > kernel option.  but i can find nothing in GENERIC or LINT.
>
> A suggestion:
>
> When I enabled apmd on my machine, I also got hangs. I solved it by inserting
> a sleep of 5 seconds in /etc/apmd.conf, before the invokation of
> /etc/rc.resume (not sure if this is they layout of apmd on 4.9 though). I
> don't know if the hang was due to disk activity or specifically the sync
> calls that are in /etc/rc.resume.
>
> (Previously I had been using apm but without apmd.)

This sounds suspiciously like a problem that has cropped up in CURRENT
with ATAng. It looks like an interrupt is lost on resume. If I have a
single disk on the system, it hangs resetting that disk. If I have two
disks, it hangs on the second one. Either way, it never returns from
suspend.

On CURRENT, this only seems to show up with ACPI, but I don't think you
are using ACPI on your system from the dmesg.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)