Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2000 11:20:23 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Assembly programming under FreeBSD

Having just read Konstantin Boldyshev's introduction to FreeBSD assembly
programming, I have a couple of questions.

When I looked through some code in the source tree (and with a little
background from the article), I noticed that INT 80 interface appears to
be newer than an older interface, "CALL 7:0".  When we was this change
made and why?  Why was INT 80 chosen?  Since this is the same as Linux's
interface, does this simplfy Linux emulation?  Hinder it?

Also, this is more general, what does "CALL 7:0" do?

Sorry for the silly question, I got curious.

Jamie