Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:39:56 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPIP (kind of) with Payload Encryption only

Hi,

Could someone tell me if there is a way to build a VPN(like) tunnel from
a FreeBSD machine acting as a VPN gateway to another machine acting as
another VPN gateway using normal IP packets that have only their data
payload encrypted. Of course there would have to be a way to setup the
tunnel and still retain the network addressing of each side of the VPN

I thought about some kind of IPIP tunneling but with data payload
encryption and some kind of key exchange for authentication

has anyone made or seen such a system yet ?

I do not want to use (I can't) AH and ESP for this because of some
technical contraints

               +-------------+   +---------+
               | VPN gateway |---| Router  |--------+
 --Network A===|==FreeBSD====|===|=========|==      |
               +-------------+   +---------+ ||     |
                                            VPN   Internet
                                             ||     |
               +-------------+   +---------+ ||     |
 --Network B===|=VPN gateway=|===|=Router==|==      |

Christophe Prevotaux      Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine   Direct: +33 (0)3 26 61 77 72
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center