Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 12:29:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Ken Ingram <kingram@ipro.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Ken Ingram wrote:

> When I mkdir /articles and run mount /dev/rwd2s1e /articles I get the error:
>
> '/dev/rwd2s1e on /articles: Block device required'
>
> In order for 'mount /dev/rwd2s1e /articles' to complete properly does MAKEDEV
> produce the BLOCK DEVICE /articles? This isn't clear from the man pages.

do a `cd /dev;sh MAKEDEV wd2s1e'...  basicly /dev/wd2s1e is missing... the
r means raw in that no buffering is done...  with out the r it is a block
device and buffering is done...

hope this helps... ttyl..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)