Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:37:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jhs@flat.berklix.net
Subject:   Re: Trouble: NFS via TCP

Sorry for the late answer, but I was offline (deliberately)
during the weekend, and hadd too much work yesterday.

Julian H. Stacey wrote:
 > Using a normal UDP mount I had eratic come & go problems with amd
 > until I added to rc.conf
 > 	nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 10"
 > Turns out I had too few. 10 fixed it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it applies
here.

I'm using the default (-n 4), but this is the only mount
from localhost, so that should be sufficient.  Besides,
the same problem occurs when trying to mount from a NetApp
filer.  Also, I don't have "erratic come & go problems",
but the mount(8) command simply hangs right from the start.

I'm not using amd, if that matters (I don't think it does).

Since I weren't able to track this problem down, I now tend
to think that it's a bug in the NIC (either broken hardware
or a bug in the bge(4) driver) that makes it break TCP NFS
packets somehow.  I don't have any other explanation.

Best regards
   Oliver

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980