Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2010 07:31:08 -0400
From:      Carmel <carmel_ny@hotmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which OS for notebook

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 01:44:17 +0200
Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com> articulated:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Leandro F Silva
> <fsilvaleandro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Which OS are you using on your notebook, FreeBSD / Linux or MAC ?
> > Also, can you tell us the hardware, Sony / HP etc..
> >
> > Thank you !
>
> Linux Mandriva 2010 on my notebook (Dell 1318) and Mandriva 2010.1 on
> my netbook (Compaq mini CQ10-120LA) ...
>
> I need ACPI to work as expected and no BSD can give me that, and the
> same goes for wireless cards support .. forget bout bluetotth ...
> besides, dumping a Linux .iso image in a USB stick to give it a go on
> my notebook/netbook to try it out before installing was incredibly
> more easy than doing so with BSD images as most major Linux
> distributions provide Win/Linux GUI tools to do so (The Mandriva tool
> will ask you to select an .iso image and a USB ... point, click, you
> are done ... Fedoras tool will even allow you to create a a separate
> partition on the same USB device to store your files should you choose
> not to install the OS).
>
> Linux (as much as I don´t like it) is years ahead of BSD´s in that
> regards ...
>
> And, oh yeah .. native UTF-8 tty´s and KVM make a huge difference.
>
> FreeBSD has been relegated to my desktop (which I have come to use
> only ocassionally, and servers).
>
> Best Regards
> Gonzalo Nemmi

I have been tooling around with FreeBSD for a year or so now and I find
it incredible that there is virtually no support for modern hardware;
i.e., drivers for 'N' protocol devices. That one factor alone, and there
are others, precludes me from seriously thinking about installing
FreeBSD on a new laptop. The one PC that I have FreeBSD installed on is
connected via Ethernet cable to my LAN. Once that PC is replaced by
year's end with a more powerful, and wireless enabled unit, I am afraid
my experiment with FreeBSD will come to a close. At present it
certainly will not support the wireless card installed, and I am not
even sure if it will support all of the other hardware either.

I realize that at this point someone will inevitably chime in and play
the "blame the manufacturers" whine. If that were factually correct,
then no one else would be able to supply drivers and support for
hardware that FreeBSD has left orphaned.

The bottom line is that FreeBSD, if it is to continue to be considered
a viable alternative operating system, must stay current in today's
market. Many posts that I have viewed on other forums seem to feel that
FreeBSD is sadly, whether do to bad choices such as those related to GPL
licenses, or failure to properly gage today's market trends, is slipping
into an abyss.

--
Carmel ✌
carmel_ny@hotmail.com