Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:22:25 +1100 (EST)
From:      samwun@telpacific.com.au
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: embedded system based on FreeBSD

> Sam:
> Great question!
> When you say embedded I think of industrial controls, instrumentation or
> robotics - is that what you want? or a single board desktop or server?
> I recently purchased an Asus K8V MX - an AMD based matx.   Unfortunately
> I cannot yet tell you how the install went because it got stalled by
> other autumn household chores - soon...!   From my homework it looks as
> though both the video and SATA are supported.  I am not sure about the
> NIC.   It has a few nice features (particularily for a low throughput
> home server) - if you use a Sempron 3000 or up then you can utilize the
> "Cool 'n Quiet" feature which will dial back your CPU to less than 1/2
> power.   It also has automatic fan speed control for CPU and chassis fans.
> Caveat emptor.  Take a look at the specs yourself to verify your comfort
> zone from X.org etc.
> Cheers,  Graham/

Not really those embedded stuff for robotics or instrumentation etc, but
rather than a thin internet gateway which only perform few functions. The
SBC doesn't need to have USB ports, Video port, IDE hdd slot and no need
to support SCSI. So I expect this sort of SBC is around $70 USD.. But I
could not find one with this price range that suppport freebsd, althought
ARM has a product at $65 / board. Linux eCos do support this low-cost ARM
board very well, but I don't want to use linux based embedded system for
my entire project development.

Thanks
Sam