Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:26:37 -0300
From:      marcus <marcus.dicotomia@archlinux.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about tcpdump

On Thursday 15 April 2010 22:16:45 Michael Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:37:09 +0300
>=20
> Yavuz Ma=C5=9Flak <yavuz.maslak@netiletisim.net> wrote:
> > I have a network. I wish to log all incoming and outgoing trafficc
> > using tcpdump on my gateway server. But I don't want to log these
> > traffic's data because of they take up much on disk.
> > I only want to log which ports were used, which ip addresses were
> > reached. How can I do these using tcpdump ?
> > Could you give me an example or docs?
> > I use freebsd7.2
>=20
> Have you thought about using ARGUS (Audit Record Generation and
> Utilization System)?

tcpdump syntax for a specific host:

#tcpdump -i rl0 -n host 10.10.0.1

rl0 =3D interface
10.10.0.1 =3D your host

tcpdump syntax for a specific port:

#tcpdump -i rl0 -n port 22

22 =3D your port

However your questions is more about filtering data using shell scripts tha=
t=20
tcpdump syntax. If you isn't mastered it, tool as ARGUS are a good choice.