Date:      21 Feb 2003 16:15:22 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Copying of Developer's Guide

Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> > >   2.  Redistribution in compiled form (...), or in print, must
> > >       reproduce, ...
[...]
> Me either.  But does
>
>    2.  Reproduction or redistribution in print or compiled form, must
>
> sound better?

Yes, BUT...  You ought to be a GNU laywer; you've made it sound like
you've added the freedom to print, while you've actually only removed
some freedoms (namely, at least, the freedom to reproduce without a
copyright notice).

These conditions must apply, as-is, even to a derivative which is put
under a license which does not permit printing; that's one of the main
features of BSD-like licenses.  Adding the printing permission to only
the permission part of the license would allow it to be omitted cleanly
(along with any or all other parts of the permission statement) when
someone licensed a derivative differently.

There's a certain asymmetry to the new version which might not be what
you want.  It's unclear whether printed source files fall under the
first condition or the second condition.

The "plurality" of the two conditions now differ.

As usual, I wonder whether "and" or "or" should be used; but, as usual,
either leaves it subject to misinterpretation; I'm glad IANAL.

With or without the change, it sounds slightly nonsensical to have
"Redistributions...must reproduce"; one shouldn't have to reproduce
anything to redistribute an existing copy.