Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:20:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, gibbs@plutotech.com, nate@mt.sri.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: callouts in CAM (was Re: cvs commit:)

> >You stated before that you could simply block the request that would
> >have made use of a newly allocated resource until such time as one of
> >the existing entries becomes availble.  I'd hate to see max allocation
> >up front in all cases.  8-(.
>
> New work comes in.  There are no CCBs/callouts available in the
> free pool.  An attempt is made to allocate a CCB and it's corresponding
> callout.  If that fails (malloc failure), I wait for an existing
> CCB/callout to come free.  Where does this contradict what I said
> above?

Nowhere.  You didn't quote your original anti-watermarking sentiment
when you quoted me.  ;-).

> Where is the max allocation up front?  I allocate on demand.

There is no reason not to watermark the free pool.  It has the advantage
that you can return memory to the system, and allocations can occur in
page units.

A failed allocation at a low watermark can be ignored until the pool
is truly empty, at which time you can fail using the mthod you are
already using.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---