Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:50:56 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        'Kris Kennaway' <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Sleeping on "isp_mboxwaiting" with the following non-sleepablelocks held:

--cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:30:21PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> So? How about some details and context?

Um, what more "details and context" do you need?  I provided the log
of the system activity (specifically, media errors and swap read
failure) leading up to the panic, and the ddb backtrace.

> I thought was told that being able to use locks in HBAs is fine. I had
> them on for a while, and then had them off. I turned them on again over
> a month ago. I'm somewhat surprised to see that a problem shows up now.

This was apparently triggered by the disk failure, which is not a
commonly exercised code path.

> *I* do the right thing with locks, IMO. I hold them in my module when I
> enter and release them if/when I leave. Seeing a lock held by some
> random caller causing me to blow up to me seems to be a hole in the
> architecture, but I'd be the first to admit that I hardly am up to date
> on what the rules of the road are now so such an opinion is
> ill-informed.
>=20
> Comment out ISP_SMPLOCK in isp_freebsd.h. If the problem goes away,
> we'll make the change back again.

I'll do what I can.

> -matt
>=20
> p.s.: you have *way* more issues here than locking- you've a bad disk.

I know, but the system shouldn't blow up with a lock assertion in this
failure mode.

> Anyway, isn't alpha desupported?

No.

Kris