Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:56:02 -0400
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        wrendesign@mediaone.net
Subject:   Re: ## MOUSE NOT Working ##

wren <wrendesign@mediaone.net> wrote:
 |I have rid my self and computer from MS/Windows OS and have become
 |obsessed with UNIX. More precisely FreeBSD. I have installed BSD without
 |a hitch. It runs fine. I have also installed X11R6/ tyhe latest edition
 |for running x windows.

Sounds good. :-)

 |But the mouse does not move at all/. It is curse from Microsoft. A n
 |intellimouse that will not run on Unix...
 |
 |When BSD boots it gives a "intellimouse found on device 3,.."
 |It does not conflict at all.

>From this and your other description, sounds like you have a PS/2
Intellimouse (as opposed to a serial one).  I don't own one of these, but
you might try this:

1) Get out of X and go to the console,
2) Kill any running 'moused' process
3) Run "moused -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2" to start it.
4) Run "vidcontrol -m on" and move your mouse around and click the buttons.
   See if you get the console cut'n'paste pointer.
5) If so, configure /etc/rc.conf for permanent moused setup:

      moused_type="ps/2"        # See man page for rc.conf(5) ...
      moused_port="/dev/psm0"   # Set to your mouse port ...

6) Then point XFree86 at the /dev/sysmouse mouse pass-through device by
   editing /etc/XF86Config:

     Section "Pointer"
         Protocol    "MouseSystems"
         Device      "/dev/sysmouse"

You also may be able to just point XFree86 at your PS/2 Intellimouse
directly (I don't know if XFree86 has PS/2 Intellimouse support though).
In other words, kill moused, flip this in your /etc/XF86Config:

     Section "Pointer"
         Protocol    "PS/2"
         Device      "/dev/psm0"

startx, and see if it works.

 |Any help is greatly appreciated... If I can get this to work, I will
 |never return to MS Windows..

Hope this does the trick.  If not, let me know.  You also may want to post
any follow-up to questions@freebsd.org.  Lots of helpful folks hang out
there that'll be able to give you a hand.