Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 11:40:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@sri.MT.net, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >So far so good.  Personally I find the concept of going back to a
> >vendor (whther it be Ousterhout or Stallman) and saying 'your product
> >doesn't work under FreeBSD.  Here are some patches, and oh by the way we
> > [...]
>
> Exactly.

Even this can be trivially solved for a traditional bmaked port.  Just
import the vendor sources in a directory structure like this:

	tcl
		Makefile		locally written bmakefile
		tcl_subdir1
			Makefile	locally written bmakefile
		tcl_subdir2
			Makefile	locally written bmakefile
		vendor
			complete tcl sources on vendor branch.

This way any FreeBSD changes to the actual tcl source files happen in
tcl/vendor/.../foo.c and diffs are trivially generated.  Makefiles in the
vendor branch are completely ignored by our build process but are kept
around to make new imports easier.

The local build religion stuff which the tcl maintainers are not
interested is kept completely separate.  Each bmakefile has a VPATH which
allows it to find the sources from the vendor branch.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411