Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 2015 01:44:35 +0200
From:      Ahmed Kamal <email.ahmedkamal@googlemail.com>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux NFSv4 clients are getting (bad sequence-id error!)

Thanks a lot Rick ..

Actually I did reboot the nas box after setting the below in
/etc/sysctl.conf (just to clean things up)
vfs.nfsd.tcphighwater=61000
vfs.nfsd.tcpcachetimeout=300

Since clients are rhel5 only, they don't seem to support v4.1, only v4.0 ..
So this one is not an option for now.

The good news, is that after raising tcphighwater, these messages (nfsd
server cache flooded, try increasing vfs.nfsd.tcphighwater) have completely
stopped appearing in freebsd dmesg

The not so great news is, after updating sysctl and rebooting the nas box,
I still saw a few (NFS: v4 server nas  returned a bad sequence-id error!)
lines in logs. Users have already left, so I don't know how bad is it ..

Could you share more info on what this error means? RedHat seems to think
the client can skip-by-1 and choose larger IDs and that would be totally
fine ? Also how serious is this error, would it cause NFS session stall
like that ?