Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:50:09 +0200
From:      ahb@ahb.net
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cisco <-> FreeBSD / Kame / Raccon Ipsec Interoperabilty

Hi !

Perhaps a bit off topic on this list, but perhaps one of you
guys has an answer to the following question.

I have two sites.

One is running a cisco router and a second that has a FreeBSD
box with a DSL dialup line.

Behind both boxes is a LAN that I would like to connect
together with an ipsec tunnel.

The cisco router is not under my control and perhaps everything
would be fine if the cisco router would not assign the
unencrypted end of the tunnel from a pool of a class "C"
network.

So I have basicly the following configuration

10.1/16 Private LAN "A"

FreeBSD box

Some dynamic IP from the dialup provider

Internet

1.2.3.4 Fixed IP on the public end of the cisco

cisco

10.2.1/24 dynamic assigned IP

Some other firewall stuff here and the LAN behind it

The configuration is normally used as a dialin pool for home
office PC's, but there are some guys that do have a working
dialup LAN on their home office rather than a single PC.

So setting up the public side of the gif interface is a piece
of cake.

The dynamic IP is assigned during the setup of the IPsec
connection.

What I could not find out until now is how to set up the
private part of the gif interface. Usually one would have to
use :

ifconfig <src-priv> <dest-priv> netmask <netmask>

But since the dest-priv address is assigned during the tunnel
setup I could not figure out how to configure the private
destination address.

Also it would be a question how the setkey parameters for the
spdadd have to be, as I would need this destination address
there as well.

So if someone has this kind of setup in use, could you please
send me the scripts ? Or if someone has an idea where to start
searching, this would be nice as well. I have been searching
the internet for nearly two days now, but I could not find an
answer for this.

I forgot to mention that the FreeBSD box is running 4.2. If
this is too old, it would not hurt to upgrade it to some newer
version.

Thanks in advance

   Achim