Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:16:30 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump takes ages on SCSI. (several times faster on IDE)

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 05:22 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> > The Problem with aha1542 (ISA busmaster capable controller)
> > in PCI boards is that it is located "at the end" of a long
> > chain to memory.  Chances are, busmastering will not work at
> > all behind the PCI to ISA bridge since all the PCI devices
> > have higher priority and the ISA gadget never gets any access
> > granted or at least always too late.  You're better off with
> > a PCI controller.
>
> This is Just Not True.

Can you please tell me more about it?  I'm not sure of the
priority thing I mention above, but the fact that ISA busmaster
devices and PCI boards somewhat collide or counter operate
(sorry, lacking better words once more) is what I got from
serious papers here.  How direct is the access method an ISA
controller has to the memory when sitting behind a bridge?  I
would be glad to believe a 1542B/C in a PCI machine is A Good
Thing(TM).  :)

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net