Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:29:35 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELNOTESng problems

--==_Exmh_1895071772P

If memory serves me right, "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" wrote:

> IIRC, to build the relnotes now, you need to build a release, which is
> something I haven't had the resources (drive space and man-hours) to do
> since 2.2.6, which is when I discovered fbsd. :)

You don't need to make a release.  Please see the README file (which
you quoted below).

> I totally agree with Kenneth here.
>
> I think that we should keep the rendered .TXT files in the cvs
> repository. Even if they're not exactly up to date, it's better than
> having nothing at all, or needing megabytes of third-party text
> processing code, just to have *text-only* release notes.

How does the Web-available versions differ from putting the TXT
rendering in the repository?  The Web versions will (once the Web
Gods make a couple of commits) get built as frequently as the Web site
is.

In the meantime, you can look at the version on my Web page.  They're
updated pretty often, on an unofficial basis.

> Come on people, it can't be so hard to keep a copy of the rendered
> versions in the cvs? Asami does it for /usr/ports/INDEX, iirc. And no
> one complains if it's out of date.
>
> We just have to plaster a big WARNING in the readme saying that the
> files are not necessarly up to date...

Release notes that are that far out of date aren't useful.

(No slam intended on asami...I don't think we need an INDEX file that
tracks the ports collection as closely as we need release notes that
track the source.  Especially not with origin-aware ports.)

> > Additionally, I "question" the necessity of requiring tools
> > "outside" the base-OS solely for reading the relevant release
> > notes/errata.
>

> Again, I agree here. Having these release notes is a pretty good hint of
> what's new or MFC'd in current or stable. I often use it to tell myself
> running -current is a good thing. (joking) ;)

If you depend on the release notes to know what's new, you'd want them
to be up-to-date wouldn't you?

> I don't want to hit on anyone's head with this, and I think that the
> move to relnotesNG is a really good one, cleanly accomplished.

Thanks.

> I just think having the .txt files rendered is a really simple thing to
> do for Global User Satisfaction (tm).

I'm not opposed to the idea of making the release notes more accessible
to people who can't (or don't want to) build the docproj tools.  This
isn't a problem.  That's why we put versions on the Web (granted it
could be a little better integrated, we're working on that).  I just
don't see the point of bloating the repository with the rendered
versions.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1895071772P

--==_Exmh_1895071772P--