Date:        Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:31:43 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Carol Cirillo <hyval@pilot.infi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound card drivers

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 09:21:12AM -0400, Carol Cirillo wrote:
> I am new to BSD (unix) , installed freeBSD 4.0 and during setup noted that
> there were no multimedia drivers for sound cards. All devices seem to
> working properly but the sound card.  Did I miss a step in the setup
> somewhere?  I've read the book provided with freebsd, and the information
> on sound card drivers assumes I already know how to install drivers.
>
> Is there a release that includes sound card drivers ?
> is there a hardware configuration bible for BSD ?
> is there a WEB site with hardware configurations for BSD?

The soundcard drivers are not included in the GENERIC kernel which is
installed by default. You will have to recompile the kernel with the
appropriate options to get soundcard support.
See the handbook for information on how to recompile a kernel.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson