Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2016 16:18:26 -0400
From:      Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenVPN with xp & win7 clients

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> On 17 July 2016 at 18:58, Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com
> <mailto:luzar722@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello List;
>
>     I travel outside of my home country a lot and can not access some
>     web site content because internet connection is from foreign ip
>     address range.
>
>     I see many how-tos for installing and configuration VPN on a FreeBSD
>     host. But all most all of these how-tos assume the client will be a
>     FreeBSD box also. In my case I have 2 laptops I travel with, win xp
>     & win7. The official OpenVPN website does offer clients for xp &
>     win7 but configuration info is not available.
>
>     Looking for how-to to setup VPN client on xp & win7.
>

> For Windows client, use the
> following: http://download.securepoint.de/?d=Securepoint%20SSL%20VPN%20Client/v1.0.3
>

>     The FreeBSD handbook has section on IPsec/VPN, but again it assumes
>     server and client is a FreeBSD host. Looking for how-to on setting
>     up IPsec/VPN on xp & win7.
>

> For setting up the server, use the following: Use this link:
> http://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/install-configure-openvpn-freebsd-10-2/
>

>     I have 2 concerns. How much hesitation will VPN inject into watching
>     tv programs or movies on my laptops in a foreign country? Will
>     IPsec/VPN inject longer hesitations?
>

> I cannot tell about the latencies (I guess that is what you call
> hesitation :-)) because I haven't tried it.
>

>     Can I use the remote VPN client to start the show streaming and then
>     have the VPN host record the program? Later down loading the program
>     file to my laptop for viewing?
>

> That is beyond the scope of FreeBSD questions I guess :-)
> But maybe someone has done it and will give you their story.

" For setting up the server, use the following: Use this link:
http://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/install-configure-openvpn-freebsd-10-2/"

That link content is out-dated. The openvpn port/pkg does not include
the easy-rsa scripts build-ca, build-key-server, build-key, build-dh
that are described in that how-too. The certificates are the backbone of
security for VPN and without correct documentation that how-to is
useless. To make things even worse, the easy-rsa port is lacking a
manual page.