Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 19:27:46 JST
From:      Masahiro SEKIGUCHI <seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Questions/comments on ed driver

I examined the ed driver (of 950412 SNAP.)  I found some (essentially
2) strangeness in it.  I'm not sure I found bugs or just
misunderstood.

It is appreciated if you hackers give me comments.

1.  If_ed.c defines ETHER_MAX be 1518 and ETHER_MIN 64.  The length
includes 4 bytes for CRC.  However, it looks like the program compares
them against packet lengths *without* CRC.

2.  When put into 16 bit operation (isa16bit is on), if_ed.c turns the
interface in 16 bit mode just before data transfer, and then back in 8
bit mode everytime.  The comment says it makes DOS reboot process
happy, but, if so, why cannot the back-in-8-bit process be done only
in kdc_shutdown() hook?