Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 17:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

J Wunsch wrote:

> As Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > Making folks build their own custom kernels is a step in the wrong
> > direction.  We should be providing 'out-of-the-box' solutions solutions
> > for them in the same manner as pre-built ports.
>
> I will fully support this opinion as soon as we have pageable kernel
> memory.  Right now, the kitchen-sink kernel wastes a few hundred pages
> of valuable physical memory for the average user, i think that's a
> very high price.

FreeBSD-questions....thats the place to talk about ditching devices from
the GENERIC kernel.   ask how many people are running GENERIC.  ask how
many people know how to make a custom kernel that works.

	(i get an some message about _hw_float....why???)

let those who need/want/can build custom kernels do so.

let those who dont/cant/wont run GENERIC, bloated as it may be.

jmb

ps.	all those in favor of removing ed1 and sio2 from GENERIC
	answer all custom kernle compilation questions.
	greg lehey can add it as the *first* item in his
	"how ot get results from freebsd-questions"  <evil grin>  ;)

--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/