Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:13:03 -0600
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <wheelman@nuc.net>
To:        "John Polstra" <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PAM and Apache

> Well, I'm sure you understand the basic problem.  The
> /etc/master.passwd file is readable only by root, so you have to be

<nod> Yep!  I was just sort of hoping I could get away with a pre-made
module that would do it directly. :)  Don't worry, I would rather have the
password database tightly secured, so in a way I'm glad it's this difficult.

> One possibility for you would be to run a RADIUS server (as root, of
> course) on the same machine, and use the pam_radius module to contact
> it.  Most (if not all) of the RADIUS servers can be configured to
> authenticate via the passwd file.

That's exactly what I switched over to.  I set up a mini RADIUS server that
does nothing but authenticate via the password file and only accepts
requests from the same system.  Everything appears to be working fine now.
:)

Jaime Bozza
Nucleus Communications