Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:02:53 +0300
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAE and gvinum

On Saturday 08 April 2006 20:27, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Stoyan Dimov wrote:
>
> SD> Hi all,
> SD>
> SD> I got a machine with 8GB of RAM and plenty of disk space. I need gvinum
> SD> manage big number of file systems but PAE enabled kernel does not
compile
> SD> modules. I couldn't figure out how to get vinum statically  compiled in
the
> SD> kernel if that is the way to go. I am running 6-STABLE.
> SD>
> SD> Please advise on how to get PAE kernel and gvinum working together!
>
> I did not test this, but I found no reason to prevent you from compiling
> gvinum in. Try the patch attached
>
> and add line
>
> device gvinum
>
> to you kernel config file.
>

> Sincerely,
> D.Marck                                     [DM5020, MCK-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]
> *** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck@rinet.ru ***

Thank you for your response, Dmitry!

The patch did get gvinum in the kernel but then next problem came: gvinum
command will not work. Looks like the first thing it tried is to load the
geom_vinum.ko module which of course fails. I didn't have much time to look
into this. I could boot non-PAE kernel create the volumes and then boot the
PAE kernel with gvinum compiled it. Worked like a charm. Rebooting for every
FS change though somewhat defeats the purpose of the volume manager.

So I removed the gvinum from the kernel and compiled just the gvinum module,
installed it and it worked. Now I wonder what can go wrong with this setup.
There must be a reason kernel modules are disabled by default and I have no
clue what is the risk of running gvinum as kernel module. I will be testing
the install soon and I will let the list know if I run into problems. Any
advice of course is very welcome and highly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
Stoyan