Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:22:12 -0700
From:      Tom Vilot <tom@vilot.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bash - superuser

>Using a shell not contained in the root filesystem can cause problems
>even when not in single user mode. There are enough examples in the archives.

Admittedly, I'm still a bit of a noob, but I can't stand any shell but
bash.

>>I really don't get what the problem is with this 'sh is on the root' argument.
>>Using bash is a lot more productive for many people, so why not let them use it?
>>

>No problem for people to be productive with bash or whatever shell they
>prefer. Just not for root. You should not even use the root account unless
>absolutely necessary.

Ya mean like ...

  ... editing /etc/rc.conf
  ... installing a port or package
  ... updating the ports tree and/or running portupgrade
  ... configuring the firewall
  ... backing up the file system
  ... checking /var/log files for attempts at cracking
  ... reading root's email
  ... rsyncing to a remote server

I would be curious how I could do any of the above as someone other than
root.