Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 17:52:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: POST checksum hacking

As Don Yuniskis wrote:

>    I'd like to cut a new set of EPROMs with an altered disk table
> but the POST screams about bad checksums.  Anyone have a clue as
> to the algorithm employed and the location of the checksum image
> (before I start disassembling code)?

A ROM image consists of

0x55 0xaa	- signature
<len>		- number of 512-byte ``increments'' this ROM consists of
<len>*512-3 bytes ROM image

The entire ROM image must byte-checksum to 0.  This is usually done by
placing a jump next after the <len> byte, and reserving the byte after
the jump instruction for checksumming.

(I haven't verified this information.)

--
cheers, J"org