Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:24:09 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        Stefano Spinucci <virgo977virgo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problems of FreeBSD 7 beta 2 on Dell D610 (multiboot con solaris, linux, winxp)

"Julian H. Stacey" wrote:
> > > Stefano & stable@
> > > I saw similar installing 7.0-BETA3 on my Digital HiHote Ultra
> > ..
> > > I'll look for right syntax. eg maybe hw.ata.ata_dma=0 etc starting
> > > in my http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf
> >
> > Safe mode (Hit Key 3 after it asks for boot floppy 2nd time
> > 	(Im using floppy as my cd drive doesnt like my cd-rw media, just cd-r)
> > This sets hw.ata.ata_dma to 0, with this my laptop is now in middle
> > of a minimal install, reading distrib via a pcmcia ep0 ethernet.
>
> Although that enables disk writes, Pcmcia ep0 runs slow, 23KB/s, timing
> out & install has died repeatedly.  I tried reducing commands used in
> 	bootsafekey of /sys/boot/forth/beastie.4th:
> 	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#bootsafekey
> By avoiding `3' & just using
> 	set hw.ata.ata_dma
> 	boot
> Still its a slow 23K. Still ep0 dies. Install fails.

7.0-BETA3 on Digital HiHote Ultra 2000 could not install via pcmcia ep0.
I minimal installed from cdrom,
Booted multiuser with 3 = Safe Boot,
Edited /boot/loader.conf from
	hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
	# hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
	hw.ata.ata_dma=0
Rebooted.
Cdrom sysinstall-ed all distribution sets (except essential bin
& kernels) for a full native platform, & now making /usr/src/
It can mount the 5.1 partition & 5.1 can mount the 7.0,
so Stefano, do try hw.ata.ata_dma=0

Pcmcia ep0 ethernet remains unusable, ping 1.5 to 28 seconds & drop outs,
but that's an issue I'll pursue/ report on mobile@freebsd.org.
--
Julian Stacey. Munich Computer Consultant, BSD Unix C Linux. http://berklix.com
	Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz. Dump cigs 4 snuff.