Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 12:03:20 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xterm and colour (Was: cvs commit: ports/mail/mutt-devel...)

--==_Exmh_1715463552P

> > Most people want to have local xterms Just Work. In mono by default, but
> > display color if you run up sysinstall/mutt/ports dialog etc. in an xterm.
> >
> > They also want remote xterms to display correctly on their local screens.
>
> Yep.

Actually, there's another case that I neglected - running apps within a
"foreign" xterm on a FreeBSD system. Very few of the machines I work with in
$DAYJOB have heads, so this isn't a problem for me, but it may be the root
cause why things are the way they are.

> > This used to work perfectly with the color customizations in ~/.Xdefaults and
> > Xterm-color (an acceptable hack, IMHO), but this no longer works.
> >
> > Setting TERM=xterm-color (or some other wonky, non-standard value) to get this
> > is not really acceptable (for me at least).
>
> [...snip...]
>

> > I think I've just talked myself into doing the local hack - but it seems
> > unnecessary to me, and it pains me when other people say of my favorite OS:
> >
> > : The xterm-color value for $TERM is a bad choice for XFree86 xterm
> > : because it is commonly used for a terminfo entry which happens to
> > : not support bce. Complicating matters, FreeBSD (after dithering for
> > : a few years on the matter) has a bastardized version which implies
> > : the opposite sense of bce, (because it uses SGR 39 and 49), but
> > : does not set it.
>
> And if a FreeBSD-user asks on a non-freebsd list (something like
> "Hi, I run freebsd-4.x, how do I get foo to show colour in an
> xterm?"), and you reply "xterm-color yadda yadda blah", Thomas
> Dickey appear instantly, pointing his finger saying "FreeBSD is bad!"
>
> Not Fun(TM).

I hear that.

> > Present behaviour just seems flat-out wrong to me.
>
> It sure does. Who is responsible? The port (XFree86 ?) maintainer?
> Someone else?

I believe that the problem is that the system term* stuff doesn't have the
correct entries for xterm (e.g. not the stuff that ships with XFree86) and
thus it's not strictly a ports issue.

> Do you think sending some polite e-mails to The Right
> Person(TM) would help?

I'm sure that no-one is deliberately breaking anything, simply that they don't
see it as a problem the way they work, so perhaps yes.

On this topic in <200007190145.SAA20697@mass.osd.bsdi.com>, Mike Smith said:
| We've generally maintained that we should ship whatever the XFree86
| people send us.  What's their take on this?

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_1715463552P

--==_Exmh_1715463552P--