Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:50:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ben@rosengart.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any action on PR 10570 ? getting closer to 65K :-(

Snob Art Genre wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> In message <XFMail.990430112019.jdp@polstra.com>, John Polstra writes:
>> >Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> >
>> >You're being totally unrealistic.  You can't create >2^32 of
>> >_anything_ on an i386 without running out of memory.
>>
>> Well, John, you can, the newer ones will address 2^36 bytes of memory
>> and even a i386 can address 2^32 bytes or 2^35 bits...
>
> Since when does FreeBSD only run on i386?

Sheesh.  Make it a bloody long then so you'll get 64 bits on the
Alpha.  And then go fix all the printf format mismatches.

Or, pull you head out of that dark fantasyland and realize that (a) a
32-bit counter is not a problem in any realistic sense, and (b) if it
were, we'd have thousands of other equally serious problems throughout
the system.

I'm done with this absurd thread.

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong