Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:31:03 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

--------------enig67F64EE14A43A4461166E561

On 12/22/11 17:56, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Guys, girls, fuzzy creatures,
>=20
> This is by far the best example of a constructive email in this entire =
thread.

Agreed!

>=20
> If people would like to help, Erik here is exactly the kind of person
> with exactly the kind of software that needs a hand.
>=20
> I think enough philosophizing has been done - now we have questions
> that need answering; theories that need testing. And that requires,
> you know, coding. :)

Many thanks for that piece of software. And many thanks to Erik for the
thesis as well.

>=20
> The best thing right now would be for *BSD people to pick up the
> Phronix test suite, try to compile/run it, and provide feedback. Do
> your own benchmarks on your own hardware and report back the results.
> That's how we fix the "benchmarking problem." We don't fix it by
> armchair philosophy, we fix it by getting our hands dirty. :)

:-)

>=20
> 2c,
>=20
>=20
> Adrian
>=20
>=20
> On 22 December 2011 03:21, Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk> wrote=
:
>> Den 21/12/2011 kl. 19.48 skrev Alexander Leidinger:
>>
>>> And related to the subject: wasn't it you who developed the automatic=
 benchmarking stuff? If yes, why not make it available? If you don't have=
 he resources, I offer my help to make it available somewhere.

>> Yes, that's me. I'm mostly out of time right now, but I'd like to offe=
r help if someone wants to pick up the project.

>> For those who haven't heard about it, it's a system designed specifica=
lly to track performance of FreeBSD over time by comparing revisions of F=
reeBSD, everything else being equal. It consists of a tinderbox-like buil=
d script for a build server, a script to install FreeBSD and run benchmar=
ks on at least one slave, and a database-backed website to aggregate and =
visualize results.

>> The framework does work as-is, but it really needs to be updated: conv=
ert the scripts to use the SVN repo instead of CVS, improve visualization=
 and search on the web fronted, and improve the benchmarking script so it=
's easier to extend. I don't have hardware available to run the benchmark=
s, but I think there's hardware available in the FreeBSD cluster.