Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2017 19:08:27 -0500
From:      Waitman Gobble <waitman@waitman.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sylpheed bug?

On 2017-06-01 15:52, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> Hello!
> Some things to check:
> 1) is Sylpheed the only program that makes your Xorg crash?
> 2) which DE (Desktop Environment) are you using? I'm using Xfce
> 3) are any "special effects" turned on in your Xorg / DE setup? Things
> like Compositor, ...?
> 4) if "yes" in 3 - does it help if you turn off those "special
> effects"?
> 5) Are you using ports exclusively, or are you mixing ports and
> packages?
>
> HTH

So far it appears that Sylpheed is the only thing I have installed that
crashes Xorg. But I'd probably need to see how they built Sylpheed, like
if they used GTK or whatever. I glanced at the source for 60 seconds and
nothing popped out.

I'm using KDE. I used to only use Xfce, I cannot remember why I switched
to KDE but i've been using that on everything. On this machine I've only
installed pkg.

I'm pretty sure the Xorg 'pos' bug was discovered and fixed in August
2016, and this version probably does not have that fix.

This is obviously compositing, I'd have to research where to turn that
off to see if it makes a difference. But maybe it's OK to wait for a new
Xorg version.

---
Waitman Gobble