Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:08:25 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        pwall <hexxeh@crosswinds.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (FreeBSD 4.2, or FreeBSD PowerPak?) Was: 'Hey.'

pwall wrote:

> I am interested in ordering FreeBSD.
> I am just a unix student and I want to learn more about the
> unix-like-systems.
> I am truly confused over what I should order.
> Should I order FreeBSD Power Pak 4.2 Or just FreeBSD 4.2.
> What are the differences?
> Your help will be deeply appreciated.
>
> --

First off, may I suggest you re-post this message with a more
appropriate subject than 'Hey.', maybe something like 'FreeBSD 4.2 or
FreeBSD Power Pak: which/why?' You'll get a far greater response to
email sent to this list when it is written well.
	Secondly, to answer you're question. The FreeBSD power pak, if I'm not
mistaken is merely a bunch of tools, ports, etc for FreeBSD, whereas
FreeBSD is the actual distribution. I do not personally know if the
PowerPak has the distribution as well or not, that may be something to
ask the list. I'd reccomend you look at 'The Complete FreeBSD', which is
a book that has a copy of FreeBSD shipped with it. If your usage of the
system is going to be solely a learning venture then perhaps a
well-guided tour via a nice printed manual would be the way to go.

Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
http://home.wmptl.com/