Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:31:49 +0100
From:      Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARM arch subdir cleanups

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : Are your OBIO cleanups available somewhere? Are you going to finish these (so
> : as not to overlap the work...)?
>
> What I've done to date is available in the p4 branch "arm-devel" and
> are in the form of a set of routines in subr_obio.c.  They likely need
> to be enhanced and generalized a little (I just converted at91 to use
> them, nothing else).  I had hoped to be able to come up with something
> that could also be merged into RELENG_7 as an optional feature to keep
> maintenance costs down for things MFC'd.

I'll have a look at your changes and try to come up with something generic for
all OBIO incarnations; it's good you reworked the at91 as it seemed to me
mostly divergent from what other OBIOs (Xscales mainly) look like.

> : > The other thing that I'd like to see is a better defined board/cpu
> : > initialization sequence.  Or to make better use of the one that's
> : > defined now and document it better.  I made some bad choices, in
> : > hindsight, for the at91rm9200 port that are only now becoming
> : > apparent.
> : >
> :
> : Yes, this is a valid point. As we already talked I keep this in mind while
> : fleshing out the Orion port, but it'll make more sense for me to return to
> : such refactoring in a second spin, after we have basic functionality in operation.
>
> One thing that might help is better documentation in this area.  Had
> my professional life not taken an unexpected turn recently, I had
> planned on getting some time to document the conventions and try to
> move all the arm subports into compliance with that vision.  I was
> then hoping to use that experience to define a cleanup, etc.  However,

Could you perhaps be able to share some notes on the most important items from
that envisioned changes/refactoring?

Rafal