Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 01:15:59 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone working on fsck?

> I'll stop as soon as KSE is finished, fair ?

I'm very disappointed in this response.  Poul, everything else I've read
from you to date has been reasonable except for this posting.

I would think that you, yourself, should be especially sensitive to
criticism of unfinished projects.  Things such as KSE, SMP, and GEOM
itself are each huge projects that require a great deal of perserverance
over a long period of time to reach a state where in not just the majority
of cases, but even in all the hard-to-get-to edge cases, the bugs
and gotchas are put to rest.  Each just affects too many areas of
the system, and too many users; and too many changes in various
areas of the system are interrelated.  The QA involved is difficult
enough in and of its own without personal dissention.

Unlike the ports (where I generally work), I well understand that it
is often difficult to work on kernel problems in isolation from work on
other problems.  Large undertakings such as these are areas where
the "many eyes" development paradigm is stressed to its maximum.
These are the areas where cooperation and collegiality are the most
needed to overcome the significant intrinsic technical hurdles.

And this is exactly the area where I believe you, in the above posting,
have let the project down.

But it's your personal reputation, not mine, that is at stake here.
If this is the way you wish to have yourself represented in public,
it's not my problem, but your own.

I just wish you had reached for the delete key before sending
this post.

Mark Linimon